Pleshey Castle

The earliest documentary reference to Pleshey motte and bailey castle dates from 1143, but archaeological excavation has shown that the castle was most likely completed between 1096 and 1106.

The motte was surrounded by two baileys from its inception, and at some time in the castle’s early history the whole structure was surrounded by a moat. The remains of this moat can be clearly seen from within the village.

The earthworks of the motte and of the south bailey are still intact, and the outline of the north bailey can still be seen in the semi-circular street plan of the village.

Click on the image to enlarge