North Leigh Roman Villa
The site was excavated in 1813–16 by the architect Henry Hakewill and in 1943 the unknown plan of the southwest wing was revealed by aerial photography.
In 1958 further excavations were carried out by the Ministry of Public Building and Works and the site was further excavated in the 1970s.
Excavations showed that the site was first occupied in the late Iron Age, and that the first villa was constructed in the first, or early second century. The south-west and north-east wings were added early in the third century and further construction took place in the fourth century.
Click here to go to the English Heritage page for this site