Church of St John the Baptist, Little Maplestead

Little Maplestead once had a Knights Hospitaller establishment called Little Maplestead Preceptory. It is likely that the present church, which was built c. 1335, stands on the site of the church built by the Order in around 1186.

Little Maplestead is one of only four round churches still in use in England, and was the latest of these four to be built.

Although rather heavily restored between 1851-57, this small church is of considerable interest and importance.

Click on the image to enlarge