Thetford Warren Lodge
Thetford Warren lodge is a fortified building constructed c. 1400 by the Prior of Thetford to provide accommodation and protection for gamekeepers.
The quality of the building and its interior finish suggests that it was intended from the start to serve as genteel accommodation for hunting parties, in addition to providing accommodation for the gamekeeper.
The lodge is two stories high and c. 8.5 m by 5.8 m. The walls are c. 1 metre thick – an indication of the defensive role the lodge was meant to fulfil. The walls are of flint rubble and brick, with limestone dressing.
During the 18th and 19th centuries, this used for managing rabbit warrens, and the lodge was taken over by local rabbit warreners.
Click here to go to the English Heritage page for this site