The abbey increased greatly in size and by 1187 there were 70 monks and 120 lay brothers in residence.
In 1201 the abbey was badly flooded. As this became a recurrent problem, the abbey was substantially rebuilt during the 13th century and continued to grow in the fourteenth century.
The abbey was dissolved in 1536 and the site came under the ownership of Sir William Fitzherbert, treasurer of the king’s household.
See also: Waverley Abbey