The Lord Leycester Hospital, Warwick

The Lord Leycester Hospital started life as just the Chapel of St James the Great which was built over the West Gate of Warwick in 1126 by Roger de Newburgh, 2nd Norman Earl of Warwick.

The Hospital itself was founded by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, in 1571, and was intended as a hospital for aged and infirm soldiers.

In 1694, the Great Fire of Warwick started at the Friends Meeting House in Warwick and spread up the High Street consuming the original medieval timber-framed houses. Only the Lord Leycester Hospital and its near neighbours survive.

Click on the image to enlarge