Ewelme Alms Houses

The official name for the Ewelme Alms Houses is “The Two Chaplains and Thirteen Poor Men of Ewelme in the County of Oxford”.

The school and cloistered alms houses were founded in 1437 by William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk, Lord Chamberlain of England, and his wife Alice de la Pole, who used their profits from the East Anglian wool trade for the purpose.

In 1617 King James the position of Master of Ewelme Hospital was altered to support the Regius Professorship of Physic at the University of Oxford. At the same time, the Rectorship of Ewelme was made to support the University of Oxford’s Regius Professor of Divinity, who then served as rector of the parish.

Click on the image to enlarge