Figsbury Ring

Figsbury Ring consists of a sub-circular earthwork enclosing 6.4 hectares. The site was partially excavated in 1924 by Ben and Maud Cunnington who decided it was an Iron Age hillfort.

However, the presence of an inner ditch, and the discovery of Grooved Ware and Beaker pottery, has led many archaeologists to doubt this.

The inner ditch is ditch is separated from the outer rampart by a berm of up to 30 metres in width and it is possible that the site actually began as a late Neolithic henge.

Click on the image to enlarge