St Mary the Virgin Church, Iffley, Oxford

St Mary the Virgin church in Iffley was built c.1160 by the St Remy family, possibly financed with funds from the de Clintons of Kenilworth Castle.

Much of the church is original, or carefully restored. The chancel was added in the thirteenth century and has sedilia which were added c. 1250.

The west front has a remarkable doorway with four orders of chevrons and two orders of beakheads.

See also: Iffley

Click on the image to enlarge